Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Our Largest Organ



We often don't think about it but our skin is our bodies largest, and perhaps most susceptible, organ. It covers the entire surface area of our bodies and it is our connecting feature to the elements of the world. It is designed to protect us, shielding our inner more life-sustaining organs from damage or exposure. Our plentiful nerve endings alert us to extreme temperatures, pain and danger. Our skin is also our most absorptive organ, allowing the good and the bad entrance into our circulation system. 

Until recently, I had not realized the importance of what my skin came in contact with until I began using therapeutic essential oils. To rub Panaway or Valor essential oil on a painful area and within minutes receive relief from that pain...To apply Peppermint and Digize oils in a clockwise motion to my stomach when suffering indigestion, and within 5 minutes be symptom free. It only takes minutes of applying it to the skin and the oil is providing its therapeutic benefit. It's amazing! There is a science here. Because of the unique (natural) chemical composition of various essential oils, they can be absorbed into the skin and effect the body at the cellular level.  

 
It has been shown, that within 5 minutes of applying an essential oil to your skin it has reached your bloodstream, within 20 minutes it is circulating throughout your body, and in 2 hours it is being fully metabolized. 

Having this new knowledge has really opened my eyes to the extreme absorbency of my skin. I began to think about all of the "elements" my skin is exposed to on a daily basis. Dish soap, body wash, cleaning agents, laundry soap, surface germs, shampoo, make-up, hand soap, deodorant, toothpaste, lotions, creams, and the list goes on. And then to add insult to injury, I read the ingredient list on some of these products. What I found are synthetic chemicals and preservatives like propylene glycol, petroleum, carageenan and sodium laurel ethylate. If you don't believe me... turn over your tube of toothpaste or shampoo bottle. It's all there, and is being absorbed into our skin, our bloodstream and our entire body. Some of them are even know to be harmful chemical toxins, and we are freely allowing them access to our internal organs and immune system. It may not be a problem now, but I believe the build-up of such harmful chemicals could cause us problems down the road. 

Have I depressed you? Made you question everything? Well... don't worry. There is hope in the form of 100% pure essential oils and many other truly natural products on the market that we can use to replace these harmful products full of chemicals. It may involve a little bit more work and possibly a bigger investment initially, but the end result is a clean toxic-free life. I am making the switch. I have been interested in "natural" products for many years, but have decided to do the research and make-up the recipes and make the change. As I run out of my toothpastes, lotions, and soaps I am replacing them with a 100% natural, chemical free alternatives. I am using Young Living essential oils alone and in recipes to duplicate the effects of chemical-laden shampoo, deodorant and face lotion. 

I buy Young Living's Denterome Ultra toothpaste...

I use Young Living's Thieves cleaner to clean my entire house. And as an added benefit it kills surface germs 99.96% (same as all those chemically alternatives).

I am making my own sunscreen, bug spray, flea & tick prevention for the dog, deodorant, body scrubs, eye make-up remover, face lotion, diaper rash creams, etc. Many of them with essential oils mixed in for added benefits. And the even better news, is when I use essential oils in place of many of these harmful chemicals they are entering my body and providing detoxification from the chemicals previously used and absorbed. I feel good about this change. I can feel confident knowing that what I am using in my house or on my child's skin is not going to cause any harm.

If you are interested in knowing more about Young Living essential oils and the many products they offer check out my resources section at the bottom right of the page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment